Friday, January 20, 2012

Oops... my filter broke

One of the challenges of being Abby's parents is dealing with her lack of a "filter". You know, that thing that tells you either don't do that or don't say that. It will often manifest as her smart-a$$ comments to us when we ask her to do something. She'll come back with some quick witted response that gets her in trouble. At school she'll be equally bratty.

Earlier this week my Mom and I had the girls at lunch. This very sweet man (with some intellectual disability) who has worked there forever came up to us and started a conversation. We've talked to him a million times so this was nothing unusual. He went into a story of about a member of his family. It was a little long winded but we weren't going anywhere so who could have cared. In the middle of his story Abby looks at him and says "story over, done!". I could have killed her. Luckily I don't think he realized she was talking to him but what a brat.

The issue for me is that she comes off as being naughty or bratty when in actuality this is part of her issue. She lacks the filter than one needs to know what should be said out loud and what should stay in your head. I am not sure how this is going to effect her long term but it sure is going to drive us insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment