Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Changing it up

A change of scenery for Abby means more falls and more imbalances. Since we have been at the beach she has fallen down the stairs twice, fallen off the sofa three times (once pretty bad), hit her head on the table more times than I can count, bruised her back on the coffee table and many, many more. It breaks my heart for her. When she is familiar with her environment she does well. She falls less frequently, she is in better control of her body, things just go smoother. When we change things up the falls increase significantly.

It just makes you wonder what the future holds for her. Will this always be the case? Will she always fall more when she is in a new place? Think about the consequences of that… Right now we can control her environments. We know that when she goes somewhere new you have to be right on top of her. What happens when she is ten or fifteen or thirty? What will this mean for the quality of her life?

I try not to spend too much time worrying about things like this. It doesn’t do a whole lot of good. But when I do catch myself asking the question it breaks my heart a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment